Saturday, January 1, 2011

A good double...

Sunday, December 26, 2010

I knew I had some work to do if I was to have a chance against the army of advancing calories…leftovers in the refrigerator. I started aggressively…putting in 83 minutes on the bike, which is the time it takes me to ride for two episodes of ‘Lost’. Drenched and exhausted, I showered and got dressed for church. On the drive there, Heidi called from home and asked if I could take her to work. I dropped Holly off and returned home to take her to Golf Galaxy before returning to church in time to get a couple of good readings on my resting pulse. It was only 47.

After church, I gathered Dakota in the car and headed for the park. I pulled out my 30 pound pack…no more with the 60-pounder after the bad hip…and headed off-trail. We worked our way through the woods and down to the marsh through about 6 inches of snow. No one had passed on my trail since I’d been there last, which is the way I like it. I was breaking a good sweat, though the footing going down the hill to the marsh was a little dicey with the pack and clumpy boots. We trudged on back to the car taking 67 minutes in all to cover the distance. It wasn’t as tough as with the heavier pack and I excluded any step-ups, but I still managed to get my heart rate up over 90 and keep it there…and Dakota had a blast.

Dinner was leftovers and since I hadn’t eaten any pie the day before, rewarded myself by having a slice of pumpkin, apple and banana cream. I suppose I was close to break even with the double workout, but I really wish the desserts would disappear.

Bike duration: 83 minutes. Hike duration: 67 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 biking. 90 hiking
Calories burned during workout:  1245 biking.  500 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment