Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The greatest man of fitness - Jack LaLanne

Monday, January 24, 2011

The first and greatest man of fitness, Jack LaLanne, died yesterday. He was 96 and still working out daily. I couldn’t have been more than six when I first tuned in his fitness show and got inspired. I was staying at my grandparents’ home just north of New York city, for an extended two-week visit…it was my turn…and they got – like – twelve or thirteen stations on their TV (we only had three at home and I wasn’t allowed to watch TV except on Saturday mornings and Sunday nights anyway), which was pretty much heaven. I was channel surfing (we called it ‘changing the channel’ back then and I had to stand in front of the set and do it manually) when I came across this really buff guy wearing some funny leotards and doing exercises with a chair and a towel. He was also telling me to go and get my mother and tell her to come and do the exercises with him…and me.

If we’d gotten this channel at home and I had gone and tried to get my mother up to come and work out with Jack…well…that wouldn’t have been a very good idea and I wouldn’t be writing this blog today. But grandma…now that’s another story. I think she kind of liked him and she tried to do some of the things he was doing. Somehow…the way he spoke so enthusiastically, moving his arms and flexing those biceps…he just made you want to try.

His show began in 1951 and for the next 35 years, he came into our homes every day. It was the longest running fitness show in the history of TV. I remember reading about his swimming exploits as he aged and it was his birthday antics that inspired me to try and do something challenging each year to celebrate getting older. For his 70th, while handcuffed, shackled, and fighting strong winds and currents, he towed 70 rowboats, one with several guests, from the Queen’s Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 mile. I’m not even in his league when it comes to fitness or nuttiness. He is truly a legend, though, and the world of fitness will miss their Founding Father.

I went to the Metropark for a short run and as I was getting ready to start, I noticed Marie across the parking lot. “I was wondering who the nut in the shorts was,” she said when she recognized me.

“You know how I sweat…so it’s no big deal. Besides, I’m only going a couple of miles.” I was wrong about that…the shorts thing, I mean. It was really, really cold though I have to admit that only my hands, covered in socks, were feeling it. The trails were passable…packed by hikers and skiers…and I managed to get in 16 minutes pain-free. I hurried home after the run and put another hour on the bike…so…not a bad workout day. It was the least I could do to honor Jack.

Bike duration: 60 minutes. Run duration: 16 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 biking. 140 running.
Calories burned during workout: 900 biking. 250 running.

No comments:

Post a Comment