Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"How'd those brownies taste, Dakota?"

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I spend some time perusing web sites regarding health and fitness hoping to pick up tidbits of truth that I can weave into one of my fabricated stories to give it at least some credibility. I’m still trying…for that ‘credibility’ thing…and saw something about eating the right foods and weight loss. What a concept…maybe I’ll try it some time. Anyway, Heather Jones, a nutrition expert that writes for ‘Good Housekeeping’ had an article that promoted three simple dietary changes which could help drop 5 pounds. The first was sipping vegetable juice throughout the day. I’m pretty sure she meant in place of coffee with cream and sugar…but the vegetable juice actually has qualities that suppress the appetite. I don’t drink it because it makes me want to puke…which is an appetite suppressant, as well.

Her second suggestion was to have a meatless lunch once a week. The only time I have meat for lunch is when I go to Slyman’s where they serve enough corned beef in a sandwich to meet the monthly requirement for protein and fat.

The third suggestion was to include fish in any diet where you’re trying to lose weight. I love fish, but Holly doesn’t…which pretty much means we don’t eat fish. I must admit that I was looking at fresh Salmon at Heinen’s recently and was shocked at the price per pound. I don’t eat steak, but the prices were higher than strip steaks or filet mignon. Okay…so I’m sure that was a big help and yes, I’ll keep you posted on other great ideas.

I made my way to the Metropark after picking up Dakota from the vet. She’d been there throwing up her New Year’s diet from earlier that morning. Holly had made a delicious pan of brownies complete with peanuts and Jack had decided one for breakfast was the Champion’s way to start the day. Unfortunately, he’d left the pan within Dakota’s reach, and she’d finished the pan shortly after he left for school. The vet told Holly over the phone that she should induce Dakota to vomit or “bring her in and we’ll do it here.” Since seeing vomit makes Holly vomit…she took her to the vet.

Anyway, the snow had been falling hard and I knew there was plenty on the ground, which always made for a more challenging hike…and it was. It was also the most serene hike I’ve had in some time. We were alone and it was almost dark as we made our way towards the marsh. We observed a buck moving slowly through the woods only 30 feet from where we were standing. At first I thought it was sick…it seemed to be off balance as it moved and paid us no mind. Then it occurred to me that it hadn’t seen or sensed our presence so when I finally began to walk, it looked our way and gave us that ‘deer’ stare that says “come any closer and I’m out of here.”

Our footsteps were almost completely muffled as, it seems, was all sound. There was a deathly silence every time we stopped walking and the snow hung so heavily on the branches of the pines that they were constantly in our path. It was truly a winter wonderland.

The trek took a little longer than usual…about 70 minutes…and by the time I returned home had decided that it was all I was going to do. Though I hadn’t really gotten the heart rate that high and could have done a ride, I decided that it was good enough and that maybe I could use a little break from the intense workouts I’d been performing over the last two weeks…with many days doing doubles. Besides, I’d shoveled the driveway twice and that counted for something, as well. Tomorrow…back to running.

Hike duration: 70 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 75 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 400.

No comments:

Post a Comment