Monday, January 3, 2011

More eating and no exercise...

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Whenever we go to the Red Maple Inn, we are the last ones down for breakfast. It’s buffet style and includes scrambled eggs and a meat, cold and hot cereal, yogurt, fruits and all kinds of things to stick in a toaster. It’s offered from 7-10 a.m. and we arrived at 9:50 a.m. I mean…we’re on a vacation and we stayed up late to watch a movie and then there’s the whole getting out of the bed in the morning thing…which I hate. Then Holly has to clean the room before the housekeeping department can come in and see that we’re slobs. It all take a while.

It was going to be a day the revolved around the places we would eat. We went to an antique mall in Parkman and some other Amish shops before finding ourselves at Mary Yoder’s in Middlefield for a late lunch/early dinner. I had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy plate, which was good but fatty. They serve a very healthy portion there and the only thin people in the place were the Amish waitresses.

We made our way back to the hotel and watched another movie…with Holly nodding off. I keep her riveted. Around 8 p.m., I suggested we walk over to Joel’s, which is a pizza/grille place that serves ice cream and is located on Burton Square. We needed dessert and I had a waffle cone with one scoop of some kind of peppermint ice cream. I was watching a guy with a cell phone to his ear sitting with a lady eating a sandwich. I noticed that for the 30 minutes we were there, he never put the thing down. I said to Holly, “what did we do to be that rude before cell phones?”

“You read the paper while I was sitting at the table,” she said. Now…I don’t think I really did that, but I suppose that would be the equivalent.

After the ice cream, we walked around the entire square and looked into the shops…all of which were closed. We ran into a few people out walking their dogs, but other than that the town was deserted. Holly was thinking we’d walked enough to consider it a workout until I informed her we’d probably only covered about a mile. “But we walked through the entire town! She complained.

“It’s Burton…from one end to the other is less than half a mile,” I said.

We grabbed some more popcorn…they always have it waiting in the dining room popcorn machine…and took it back to our room. Holly managed to stay awake for most of the movie ‘Witness’ which I’d brought along because of the Amish connection. Though I was getting hungry around midnight, I fought the urge to raid the breakfast bar again. It was definitely an excess calorie in day.

No comments:

Post a Comment