Monday, June 20, 2011

An epic journey about to begin...

Saturday, June 18, 2011
I ended yesterday by passing on my favorite dessert, but breakfast would be the real test. I’d asked our guests if they’d like home made waffles for breakfast and, of course, they did. I love my waffles, but only after I’ve smothered them in butter and topped them with strawberry’s, whipped cream and real maple syrup. You could gain weight writing about it so I have to be careful. Anyway, I made them and no, they are not part of the Paleo Diet. I knew what Lance would do (Lance Armstrong, of course)…he’d be strong and not eat them. I looked at my yellow ‘Livestrong’ wrist bracelet and just said…no. There was plenty left for me, but I opted for my Kashi cereal and fish oil tablets. I’m killing me.

I did a couple of hours of yard work and then headed to Mimi’s. She had a limb that needed to be cut down and water had been running into her porch from the gutters so I knew I needed to get up on the roof and clean them out. I access her roof from an upstairs bedroom which is reasonably easy to do when you’re knee bends…but mine doesn’t right now. Still…I got out there and cleaned them out and water was flowing once again where it should be flowing…down the downspout. I returned home and spent another couple of hours cutting up limbs that had fallen in the yard…about a year ago. It wasn’t a workout, but I created plenty of sweat and burned up a decent amount of calories.

Later that night, I went to Marie’s graduation party. Kim was there and she spent time telling Heidi and I how she was making the final preparations for the bike hike to California…scheduled to begin on Monday morning. Kim’s mom…like mine was about 38 summers ago when I left on my bike journey to my grandparents in New York…was worried about her safety. Kim’s parents had given her some mace, which Kim felt was unnecessary, but I assured her it had two purposes. “First…those country dogs WILL try to eat you and second…there are plenty of knuckleheads out there and a good dose in the face might not be the worst thing in the world for them. Todd and I both had it on our handlebars for the entire trip and you know what a manly man I am,” I said. Her mom also said, “it’s all your fault that she’s going.” She was kidding…no one can make Kim do anything, but I know I gave her the idea and I certainly encouraged it once she started to gear up. I know this will be the adventure of a lifetime and she will always remember it…as I do my 1,100 mile trek 38 years ago. How many chances do you get to do something so life changing?  Do it while you can and when ever you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment