Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Running the survival workout.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Holly and I were heading to visit my brother and his wife on their boat on Catawba Island. We were staying overnight, and I knew it would be difficult to follow the diet and get in the workout while there. I had to get it in before leaving, so I went to the park early with the intent of working extremely hard. I decided that I’d combine a run with the survival workout, so I strapped on the backpack with the bands inside and started jogging. I stopped at all the normal places and included a trip up a very steep hill. In all, I managed about 26 minutes of running and did more lifting, throwing and jumping than I would usually. By the time I returned to the car, I’d accomplished my goal…I was exhausted.

The survival workout is designed to be more anaerobic and strength builder, but combining it with a run worked out rather well. The entire workout lasted close to ninety minutes, but I felt like I’d done it all at the end. I’ve decided that I don’t really need to carry the TRX bands since I can innovate and hit all the major muscle groups without them and that will make the running easier…not carrying the pack.

I had an opportunity to use some of my new-found fitness skills once we arrived at my brother’s boat. He has a new, 40-foot power job of some sort…after a canoe or a kayak I’m out of my element…and he had not had it out yet. He was reasonably nervous about taking it out of his slip without bumping (crushing) the boats on either side of him. He needed to get fuel and figured he could use the practice before heading out on the open water tomorrow. I climbed on the bow (front) of the boat and handled the docking lines and stayed there while he backed it out, all the while pushing against the dock posts to keep the boat from touching the dock. The boat weighs 11 tons and it amazes me how easily I could push it away or pull it towards the dock while standing on the deck…possibly my supernatural strength gained from the survival workout…possibly the fact that it was floating…probably me.

I was sweating…but Jeff was sweating more as we got it clear of the other boats and headed for the fueling station…where he had to worry about ramming a dock full of gas. I wasn’t too worried…I’d be on the bow and the tanks were in the stern. If he plowed into something, I’d jump in the water and swim for it…something I do pretty well. He had no troubles though and we were now a good team for taking it out the next day when we’d boat to Small Bass Island.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes. Run workout: 26 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm for workout, 140 bpm running.
Calories burned during workout: 600 for survival workout. 425 running.

No comments:

Post a Comment