Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Managing to maintain through the vacation...

Sunday, June 12, 2011

I knew John and I would be riding later in the day and since I’d missed workouts for the last two days, felt it was time to slip in a double. I went to the park in the morning and did the survival workout, pushing to do more of everything along the way. I managed to exhaust myself thoroughly, which would likely haunt me when riding later…but I needed it.

He arrived mid-afternoon and spent the next 30 minutes trying to figure out how to attach his bike computer to his handlebars. He didn’t like the idea that he had to use strip ties when the packaging clearly noted a mounting bracket that wasn’t included with the product. By the time he was finally ready; we were forced to take a shortened route and only managed a 90-minute ride.

I weighed in after the ride thinking I might have gained some weight over the past week due to poor eating choices and missing a couple of workouts. To my surprise, I was still at 188, which pleased me greatly. Jack asked me to play catch before dinner and I discovered another benefit of lower weight and doing the workout. I was running easily to chase his errant throws and seemed to have better range of motion throwing, bending and catching. I notice these things because I’d been noticing losing them when I wasn’t working out. Bending, lifting and throwing a 20-pound rock makes throwing a baseball pretty easy.

I guess the bottom line is…I kind of took a week away from my program, but with some modifications and practicing reasonable self-control, I maintained everything. To me, that’s good news.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes. Bike workout: 90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600 for survival workout. 1350 biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment