Friday, June 24, 2011

Long ride on a perfect night...

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My MRI was scheduled for the following morning and my knee was feeling pretty good again…not as good as the week following the cortisone shot…but a hell of a lot better than it had a week ago when I’d reinjured it. I didn’t want to go for the exam feeling good, so it seemed like an excellent time to take a 56-mile bike ride.

I started the ride on this beautiful, sunny evening with no particular turn-around in mind. I was heading out Pekin Road, experiencing no pain and not having to share the road with hardly any cars. The nice thing about this route is that it’s an out-and-back, so I can just keep riding and turn around whenever I want to and know my trip distance. It ends for me out in Amish country on Burton-Windsor Road…about 28 miles from the house. I was feeling so good and it was such a perfect evening, that I just kept going.

I did experience some slight cramping on the return ride, but was able to ride 9 minutes faster coming home. Once back, I walked around the yard and was pleased to find no adverse effects on the knee. Clearly, riding is not the stressor with this injury, which is something I wanted answered definitively before the MRI. I had my answer. I made a dinner of baked salmon and skipped the scale. Too much weighing in and I’ll lose sight of the bigger picture, which is life style change and how you feel…not what a scale tells you.

Kim’s partner Johnny has been twittering about their ride. They made 85 miles on the second day to find themselves just north of Columbus. The third day they met some head winds and struggled to complete 55 miles on a flat course. I know that feeling and have wasted some lung capacity on past rides shouting obscenities into the wind. It never worked and was always in my face. They should be getting out of Ohio tomorrow.

Bike workout: Three hours and 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 3100.

No comments:

Post a Comment