Friday, June 24, 2011

Time in a bottle...

Thursday, June 23, 2011

It was my first MRI, though I’d heard my share of horror stories about long periods of time in a confining space. I don’t know of any claustrophobic fears so I wasn’t too worried and once viewing the device, was completely at ease though I could see why people don’t like them. I had a book with me, but was told I wouldn’t be able to read. “We want you to lay as still as possible and not move any part of your body…not just your knee…so the book’s out,” the technician explained. Not moving for a guy who twitches 100 times a minute 24 hours a day could be an issue…but I’d let her deal with that.

She set me up and slid me into the chamber where, as soon as the machine began hammering away, I felt the need to scratch my face. I could see a count down timer over my head and it read 3:30, which to me meant I’d have to endure…but it was making me crazy…as these things will. I thought again “what would Lance do?” and managed to complete the time like a dead man.

The technician took about 5 different pictures and after 30 minutes of rigidity, I was released under my own recognizance. Unlike the x-rays though, I won’t get these results until next Tuesday. I hope these images show definitively what’s going on with my knee because I’m anxious to know what I have to do to get back to being able to do whatever I want.

Holly’s dad had gone through some surgery on his legs and was back home. I needed to get to their place so Holly could go back home before returning to spend the night with them as a precautionary measure. I went to the park to do the Survival Workout, but cut it short for this purpose. Still, I managed to get in half my lifts and by putting them closer together, felt nearly as pumped at the completion. The trails were again under water due to a second day of monsoon rains. I hate doing less than the plan and I’d wanted to do another ride, but I could see that would be out since every 15 minutes another deluge would cut loose keeping the roads wet and slick. I don’t mind riding in the rain once I’m out, but seldom…if ever…start a ride in pouring rain. Tomorrow would be tough as well since we were expecting a return of the overnight guests we’d had the previous weekend. I’m glad I got in the 56-mile ride when I did and think I’ll be doing another to make up for lost workout time this weekend.

Survival Workout duration: 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 300

No comments:

Post a Comment