Monday, June 13, 2011

Natural Bridge State Park rocks!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

I hate finding trash anywhere, but particularly when I’m hiking in beautiful state and national parks. It amazes me that some lazy slob was ambitious enough to carry full cans of beer into the woods, but incapable of carrying the empty back out. It puzzles me even more to find trash in such close proximity to trash cans…but in Kentucky’s parks; this seems to be the norm. As I hiked, I found myself constantly retrieving and putting trash into my backpack to deposit in a trash can back at the trailhead. I’d say I wish those who throw garbage on the ground would read this and stop doing it, but I suspect they can’t read in the first place.

I packed up my camp and ate a breakfast of cereal before heading the twenty or so miles to Natural Bridge State Park. Chris had told me it was the one thing I should see before leaving the parks and I took him at his word. I would not be disappointed.

I reached the parking lot in the early morning, but it was already in the 80’s and very humid. The hike to the arch was only a mile from the trailhead, but all uphill. There was a sky lift…like a ski lift I suppose…I don’t ski…for folks incapable of making the climb. As I made the climb, I suspect there would be lots of folks who would find this hike beyond their capabilities, though with some conditioning, most could do it.

Of course I was drenched in sweat when I reached the base of the arch after 30 minutes of hiking, but the trip was easily worth it. The stone arch was humongous (really, really big) measuring 78 feet in length, 65 feet high, 12 feet thick and 20 feet wide. It is believed to be over a million years old. There is a staircase cut into the stone allowing visitors to reach the top where views are spectacular in every direction. Trails leave the top of the arch for amazingly, scenic walks around the top of this ridge with many stopping points for pictures and views. There are no rails anywhere…it would be a travesty to place them in this geological wonder…but the danger factor is immense for those trying to get close to the edge for great picture opportunities (me). The drop must be over 500 feet straight down for much of a 1-mile trail. Despite the warning signs for a $500 fine for carving, many mental munchkins have etched their name in the stone. Like the trash folks, it’s a group I just don’t understand. Carving in trees and stones seems like a way to advertise that your IQ falls way below the level of the thing into which you’re making your etching. Low.

I took the long way back to my car, spending about two hours hiking and site-seeing. Natural Bridge easily out shown anything I’d seen in Daniel Boone National Forest though there was no back country camping allowed. Anyone going anywhere near this park should try to work it into their itinerary…it’s that special.

Hike duration: 120 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 75 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 700.

No comments:

Post a Comment