Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cycling issues...

Monday, July 18, 2011

I’m beginning to get a sense of what Kim and her friends are experiencing in their ride to California and 100 degree-plus heat. The temperature hovered around 90 as I mounted the bike for a two-plus hour ride. I had two-twenty ounce water bottles on the bike, but by the time I’d ridden 30 minutes, I’d exhausted one and the other was too warm to be refreshing. Fortunately, I had a place to stop and refill the bottles and since it was later, I could ride in shade part of the time. I can’t imagine doing this in temperatures exceeding 100 degrees with limited water and no shade.

The pain in the balls of my feet returned after 90 minutes of riding and a bike malfunction forced me to ride in the small chain ring for the last half of the ride…taking away my large gears and slowing me considerably. I suppose that’s better than being stuck in big gears with hills facing me, but I wanted to get off the bike as quickly as possible and this was hampering me…and forcing me to the bike store for repairs when riding was my major form of cardiovascular exercise.

Drenched with sweat, I pulled into my driveway after two hours of riding and quickly plunged into the neighbors’ pool. A smoothie and pizza from Jack’s new place of employment revived me, but there is no question that the heat saps so much more from me following workouts. I know I need to make a concerted effort to replace the fluids this week…the forecast is for 90-plus heat through the weekend.

Bike workout: Two hours and 20 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment