Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My feet are killing me...

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

It was a ride day and not a bad day to ride. I was hoping that the balls of my feet, which had been aching for over half of my last ride, would not bother me this day. I’d had problems over 10 years ago, but had bought some padded shoe inserts…Dr. Scholl’s or something…and that had alleviated the problem. I’d used them for a couple of years and eventually the problem had gone away on its own…until my last ride. When I finally got off the bike, I could hardly stand up.

I rode the Waite Hill loop and headed out Eagle Road to Kirtland/Chardon Road, which I followed south to Route 6. As I crested that long, steep hill to Rt. 6, my feet began to throb again. The worst part about the pain is that the harder you push on the pedals…in an effort to go faster and get the ride over with…the more your feet hurt.

So I decided to cut the ride a little short, making back home after a little more than two hours of riding. Clearly, I need to return to the drug store and find some more inserts for my riding shoes. I can’t believe what a baby I can be when I hear about Tour de France riders getting hit by cars and knocked off their bikes into barbed wire fences…and getting back on their bikes to complete the day’s ride…and another 1,000 miles after that! I am what I am…a whiner.

I’d like to share a new recipe I’m using to make smoothies. I know that the Paleo diet recommends staying away from fruit juices because of the added sugar and I know the best smoothies are made with fruit juices, so I went to Patterson’s Fruit Farm and grabbed a gallon of apple cider and started using that instead of milk. I’ve also been putting apples…golden delicious with skin on to be exact…into the mix with a banana and some yogurt. The skin doesn’t liquefy, but I don’t mind chewing a little when I’m drinking since it makes me feel like I’m having a meal and not just a drink. Anyway, the cider makes a big difference…much sweeter…and that’s what I’m going for.

Bike workout: Two hours and 20 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 2100.

No comments:

Post a Comment