Monday, July 25, 2011

Moving, running, sweating...

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I had a bad feeling about moving Heidi. She lives on the third floor of an apartment in Kent and is moving to the third floor of an apartment in Akron. She was supposed to have gotten some young, strong studs to make the multiple trips up and down the stairs with couches, dressers and tables, but now it looked as if it would be me and Jason. I guess I should just consider it another workout opportunity, but I had run in the morning and my knee was bothersome to the point that I didn’t want to carry heavy things up and down three flights of stairs.

Help arrived in time and so I ended up making only 30 trips or so. It may as well have been raining inside…I was that wet. I kept leaving water slicks on the doors as I backed into them while carrying furniture. I had to be careful that I maintained good balance since the natural tendency was to slide once my wet butt hit the glass door. Pretty gross.

The morning run had gone well. I’d known it was going to be another hectic day and that I’d never have time for a ride…even if I could get the bike fixed. Running was the only option and I was a little reluctant because I wanted to be able to help with the move later in the day. I took to my favorite hiking trail and was joined immediately by a swarm of hungry deer flies…I hate those bastards. I was sweating so heavily that I think they were finding it difficult to get a solid enough perch to bite me…had that going for me at least. I saw some horses behind me on the trail, moving at a cantor…which gave me the additional inspiration to run harder since I didn’t want to be overtaken. They never caught up. I did stop to tie my shoe at one point and must have had 30 mosquitoes light on me in the time it took to complete the task. These guys are really, really hungry.

My knee hurt a little for the entire run…but it hurt a little when I started and never seemed to get any worse…so I kept going. I finished the run with shoes thoroughly soaked and even after cooling down for ten minutes…continued to sweat profusely as I climbed back into the car. I needed all four towels to protect my seats from my sweat.

So…it was another hot, humid, sweaty day. Heidi is moved and if she stays there for ten years, that would be alright with me. I keep dropping 10 pounds and drinking it back in. I’m getting sick of water…except the stuff in the Wilson’s pool…but I need it if I’m to keep the training going during this heat wave.
Run workout: 32 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 500.
I’d be okay with a day or two in the 80’s though.

No comments:

Post a Comment