Thursday, July 7, 2011

Travel day...

Friday, July 1, 2011

I had packed all my gear in the car the night before and left from work and headed straight to the Adirondacks. Though I miss some of the beauty of the drive through the mountains, this plan allows me to be at the trailhead first thing in the morning, thus not losing any hiking time.

I arrived in Keene Valley late, but with enough time to visit Noonmark CafĂ© and have the lasagna dinner…with garlic bread. I’d decided ahead that Paleo would be a struggle on the trip, but I’d still monitor the calories and keep the junk out. After dinner, I drove to the public parking lot in the town, designed for hikers, pulled to the back and put my car right next to the grass so I could throw my bag on the ground and sleep without anyone knowing I was there. Since I was the only car in the lot, this really didn’t matter much. After spraying on some ‘Off’ to keep the mosquito’s at bay, I laid down and began to enjoy a sky twinkling with more stars than I can ever see back in Highland Heights. Clear, star-filled skies are one of the highlights of these trips and I work to stay awake for a period to enjoy them. Tomorrow would be an extremely strenuous hiking day and I needed my rest, so I took the glasses off and promptly passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment