Friday, July 8, 2011

The fourth of July...

Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day. I woke from a restful sleep in my cousin’s back yard at 6 a.m. We’d tried to spend the evening around a fire, but the mosquitoes…worse than I’d ever experienced…chased us inside where we swapped stories of our childhoods growing up together until well past 1 a.m. I was in charge of breakfast…I specialize in French Toast when I come north…and whipped up a large batch. I’d pretty much tossed Paleo out for the trip and had 6 pieces…enough to sustain my on the 8-hour trip home. We said our ‘goodbye’s’ after another couple of hours of shooting the bull. I reminded Donnie I’d be back in the Adirondacks in September and that he needed to be ready to climb a peak…without the ATV.

I drove home in discomfort…still sore from Saturday’s effort. I’m glad I didn’t push myself to climb yesterday…I think I did what I had to do and I’ll know in a couple of days just how bad the knee is. I’m starting to worry about putting pounds back on…missing my second day in a row and eating poorly…but maybe Saturday was enough to keep it steady.

And speaking of that…I think it’s safe to say that anyone who would endeavor to do that hike…many do…would be in good shape. There’s no fancy, painful training required really. Very little of the Adirondack peaks require technical climbing skills…just solid conditioning. I know this and will continue to try and get folks I train and encourage to use a trip like this to help them in achieving their fitness goals. I know the camping aspect isn’t for everyone, but there are so many ways to enjoy these mountains without sleeping on the ground, bathing in a clear mountain stream or doing your business in a privy…all pluses in my book.

I made it home around 6 p.m. and just in time for a dinner of chicken goulash. I was whipped but managed to stay on my feet to do the dishes. Jason had brought the movie ‘Independence Day’ to watch instead of going to the fireworks at Willoughby South. I’d seen it before but forgotten how corny it was. Ah well…it was restful, at least. Three days off in a row now and I’m feeling like a slug. Tomorrow…the Survival Workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment