Friday, July 22, 2011

Staying cool...good luck with that.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Okay…the heat is getting into the danger zone now. Holly and John have both cautioned me against working out…and they’re right…but with certain precautions which I do take pretty seriously, I’ll be okay. Here are some definite things to consider for regular exercisers…those just getting started should take the day off.

• Exercise in the shade when you can. The air is cooler, but equally important is the ground beneath your feet and the things around you that transmit heat to you are cooler, as well. On the bike, you’re picking up big heat from the asphalt, buildings you pass and direct sunlight…none of which are a factor in the woods. Between the actual cooler temperatures in the woods and the lack of radiant heat, it can seem 15-20 degrees cooler to your body.

• Hydrate along the way. I carry a bottle of water, utilize a camelback, or have places I know I can stop and get some water during my workout.

• Drink early and often. Thirst lags behind the need to rehydrate on hot, humid days.

• Don’t exercise during the hottest part of the day. Do I have to say when that is?

• Wear light colors…they reflect sunlight better.

• Douse your head in cold water on a run.

• Do less. If you’re going to be out in the worst conditions…cut back a little. Even I’m smart enough for that.

• After workouts, drink until your urine is clear.

I did the Survival Workout yesterday…in the woods and later…but was still feeling the effects of the heat. I carried a water bottle and doused my head and bandana in cold water at the Pavilion near the Girl Scout Cabins. It helped, but I could feel the heat overtaking me and cut out a couple of sets to compensate. I saw a couple of die hard runners on the trails, but traffic has been down in the park during the past week of 90+ temperatures. When I returned home, I wasted little time in getting to the neighbors’ pool. The water temperature had climbed to 90 degrees, but it still felt better than not swimming. Thank God for air conditioning though, I don’t think I’d be sleeping without it.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600

No comments:

Post a Comment