Monday, July 18, 2011

Still 'enoying the journey'...

Sunday, July 17, 2011

I was walking through the park Sunday morning, hitting the various workout stations I’ve created for myself to do the Survival Workout and making mental notes about what I was experiencing. Yes…I’ve had a series of setbacks over the past year and a half since beginning the blog and upping my workout intensity, but overall I have to say it has been a wonderful experience. I actually had a goal when I began writing…to see if I could achieve the level of fitness I’d had when I was in my mid-thirties and in prime condition…but that I knew could take a couple of years. Along the way of course, I’ve set shorter, achievable goals to keep the focus and it has worked quite well. More importantly though, I try to remind myself regularly to ‘enjoy the journey’. It’s something I’ve been known to preach to athletes I coach, but it bears repeating…to me.

The ‘journey’ should be each and every day or workout. I’m looking harder as I’m going along and thanking God and my lucky stars that I can do what I’m doing at my age. Again…pretty much without serious injury…I’m able to do almost every thing I want to…much as I did as a younger man. This is a good thing, but not quite all that I’m talking about. As I walk through the woods, ride the bike, or even while climbing the bleachers at 11 p.m., I try to find something special or memorable about each workout…even if I can only remember it for a short time. The other night when I saw that beautiful, full moon rising above the trees as I perched atop the bleachers, I had one of those moments. Walking the trail the other day, I heard a bird I was sure was a robin and as I was trying to spot it in the dense foliage off the trail, I spotted a huge raptor…probably a Red Tail but possibly an owl…winging through the trees at a speed that, for its size, seemed like a formula for a head-on with a large tree. I look for and find something special in each workout…whether its something I actually see or just the way the experience make me feel. I think it helps as I’m getting ready to go through another workout…because I will admit they can be drudgery at times…to keep me going day in and day out. I simply remind myself…”something good will happen if you look for it – so get going.”

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600

No comments:

Post a Comment