Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Going to miss those political calls...

Monday, November 5, 2012
I listened to the land line ring and again, let it go to the answering machine.  For the past month, I’ve given up on answering it.  It’s almost always a recording with some political message designed to try and get me to vote in a particular way on an issue after hearing 10 seconds of propaganda mumbo jumbo... or bullshit, in other words. 

I don’t know if this year’s national election is different than in the past, but I believe I am getting many more calls than in any previous election year.  I heard Holly playing back one of the recordings and it was Mitt Romney addressing her personally.  “Hi Holly...this is Mitt Romney,” it began.  She deleted it.  I’m sure there is some political marketing think tank being paid huge amounts of money that decided figuring out how to link up a candidate’s voice with actual name of the voting resident would garner more votes.  I mean, do people really make decisions based on a recorded message that has the candidate using their name?  Are we that shallow?  Apparently, someone thinks we are.

If I could, I’d vote against ANY politician that calls my house and invades my privacy.  The problem with that approach is I’d have to stop voting since they all do it.  How is it that we were able to eliminate all spam calls from land lines, but not political ones?  I find them as offensive and invasive, but have no way to turn them off.  I had numerous calls during the hurricane and said to one caller, “Really?  You want to invade my privacy during this storm to try an influence the way I vote?”  She started into her pitch, completely ignoring my question and I hung up.  I pray they never get the right to hit our cell phones and I’m thinking it really is time to stop paying for a land line.

I managed another good Survival Workout in what turned out to be the coldest workout day I’ve had since last spring.  I wore gloves and a stocking cap...and needed them.  I also managed to get through a workout without sweating.  My knee has been responding negatively to my increased activity of late, though I think it is the result of catching and twisting it the other day while shopping.  I’ve found out that something as benign as catching my toe on a rock while my leg moves diagonally can send pain through the knee warning me that although I’ve had surgery and seem to be able to do most anything...it’s still not what it was.  I cut back on a couple of stations for the lower body, but still managed 19.  It’s good to be back in that groove.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment