Monday, November 26, 2012

Spending numbers down for Black Friday...

Saturday, November 24, 2012
I read that spending was down overall on Black Friday and the analysts were wondering how much of an impact opening on Thanksgiving by the large retailers like, Sears, Walmart, and Target might have had.  I’d think it’s a no-brainer.  Let’s face it retailers, there are just so many people willing to put themselves through the madness of ‘Black Friday’ shopping experiences.  You have to be just a tad different to want to go through the crowded stores, issues of parking and driving around shopping centers, pushing and shoving of folks in search of ‘the deal’ and all the other unpleasantness that this kind of shopping has created.  By opening on Thanksgiving Day, you don’t increase the number of knuckleheads, you simply have them coming out earlier.  When the money runs out and the deals they were looking for are gone...a day earlier...they’re done shopping.  All you’ve created is extra costs to open and operate the stores and many unhappy employees and customers who now have to forgo the pleasure of Thanksgiving to work and to shop.

I arrived at the park for the Survival Workout with the most soreness I’ve had in my knee since overdoing it on the bike during the four weeks following surgery.  I suppose I’ve added a little too much stress with the sprints, picnic table hops, high skips and kareokee’s.  I’m willing to back down some, but I don’t want to baby myself since I know adding the sprints does so much for overall fitness.  I elected to leave out the picnic table hops again and the high knees, but did five sprints of fifty yards as a compromise.

I think I’ve found the answer to my achilles issue.  I’d been wearing a work shoe with very little heel support, but since switching back to a traditional dress shoe, the pain has subsided.  I was wearing the same footwear recreationally and stopped doing that, as well, by returning to a good hiking shoe around the house.  I’ll know for sure when I start putting runs closer together, but I know things are better because I no longer have the soreness I was experiencing as soon as I stand and walk after having been off my feet for any extended period of time.  Self-diagnosis and treatment at its best.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment