Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sunday, November 4, 2012
I’d been driving home from the park last night and seen a cyclist coming towards me on the road.  He had a blinker on the bike to be seen more easily and was bundled up against the cold.  I was thinking ‘what a nut’ to be riding in this weather and as he drew near, I recognized Kim’s father.  I texted her that she had that same nutty DNA, but realized that what he was doing is what I should be doing.  It was that or more stationary riding in my office.  With him inspiring me, I began to bundle up for a ride.

It was only mid-forties, but the grey skies, barren trees and the breeze blowing made it seem much colder.  Not that mid-forties isn’t cold on a bike for it surely is.  The wind chill makes it feel like the twenties and none of this was psyching me up to go.  I searched the house for the proper gear...riding tights, under armor, gloves and a hat.  I’d had them all together last spring, but that was a distant memory...as were my organizational skills.  When I finally had my ensemble together, I looked like a ninja warrior or a cat burglar.  I was in skin tight black from head to foot, though I was warm.  I’d put on two pairs of socks and was wearing my black isotoner gloves to complete the look, which really was frightening.

I felt reasonably warm for the first 30 minutes, but could tell my toes were not going to make it.  By the hour mark, I was thinking about warm baths and hand warmers, neither of which would be available for another 30-40 minutes.  As cold as I was, I took a slightly longer route to be sure I made it at least ninety minutes, which included another downhill and climb.  I was actually looking forward to the climbs because it warmed me the most.

I finished the ride and dismounted.  Moving around the garage, I felt like I was walking on wooden feet.  I know I need some booties if I’m to keep riding further into the winter, so that’s on my to-do list.  Later that night, I called John to brag about riding in the cold and to plant the idea that we should head south sometime soon and find a place to do a little hiking and camping.  I know he feels cheated by not being able to join me in the Adirondacks, and I’m getting cabin fever already.  I’m thinking Great Smokey Mountain National Park on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina...over 500 miles south...might offer warm enough temperatures even in late November.  The Adirondacks already have a foot of snow and its dark up there by two in the afternoon, so they’re out.  I think I can talk him into it.  We’ll see.

Bike Duration: 95 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1325.

No comments:

Post a Comment