Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A good, long ride...

Friday, November 7, 2012
Temperatures were hovering in the mid-fifties and as I looked at my schedule for the weekend, I started thinking it might be my only chance to get in a long ride.  I’d committed to working at Mimi’s on Saturday and painting with John on Sunday, both of which could keep me off the roads.  I needed to ride and I needed to do it immediately.

It was slightly cool at the start with only my doo rag under my helmet as any concession to the temperature.  I rode up through Waite Hill and was at the highest point in the ride and sweating pretty heavily when I decided I’d take the rag from under my helmet and complete the ride without protection.  I shot down the hill towards Mulberry Road and immediately felt the ice crystals forming on my bald head.  When I reached the bottom, I stopped again and put the doo rag back on my head.  Though it was damp from perspiration, it trapped some warmth next to my head and deflected the cold air whipping across my hairless dome.  I was instantly warmer.  Sometimes, it’s hard to be me.

I managed a beautiful two-hour ride and felt exhausted as I coasted back up the driveway.  I’d need every calorie I’d burned for what I smelled as I entered the house.  My brother Jeff and his family were coming for dinner and Holly had baked ‘Grandma Paula’ chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  I immediately made my way to the cooling rack to access their quality.  Since I couldn’t be sure from the first three, I reached for a fourth before heading for my shower.  Damn...but they’re good.  And yes...I can be worthless and weak.

Bike Duration: Two hours and 10 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment