Friday, November 30, 2012

Goodbye, Grandma Helen...


Thursday, November 29, 2012
Like a bear coming out of hybernation, I woke up hungry.  It had been about 35 hours since I’d last eaten and I was definitely ready.  I’d had a good night’s sleep without any stomach pain and though I was ready for breakfast, decided I push it out another five hours or so to see if my stomach pains returned before having a meal. 

I went into the office and had a cup of green tea, but no food.  By noon, I was getting a little light-headed and decided it was time.  My stomach was in a little discomfort though I was beginning to wonder if it was just hunger pains.  I had my normal breakfast, kashi cereal with almond breeze instead of milk.  I could have easily eaten a second bowl, but disciplined myself against the urge.

I went to the park for a Survival Workout after work, having experienced only mild stomach discomfort.  I went through the entire routine and returned to the car feeling that things weren’t completely normal for me and that the fasting hadn’t accomplished much.  I went home to find our neighbor had sent over spaghetti and decided I’d eat it and see what happened.

Earlier in the day, I’d received news that my grandmother had died.  She was 106 years old and in reasonably good health until a couple of months ago when she’d developed pneumonia.  She had lived a wonderful life with no regrets, though I think she knew it was time.  She’d lost her hearing and vision over the past couple of years and needed help throughout the day, which was provided by her three living children.  She’d outlived her oldest daughter…my mom…by 13 years.

I may not get to the blog for a few days since I will be traveling to the north country for the services.  Her death and celebration of life will draw relatives from around the country and it will be a gala affair.  I will have moments of sadness when I think of her and all the others that have preceded her who were such a part of my childhood and early adult years, but mostly my cousins, siblings, aunts and uncles and I will laugh as we share stories of our past that she shared and shaped with and for us.  Below is a shot of her at her 100th birthday party with my brother Jim, her first of 16 grandchildren.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment