Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving...


Thursday, November 22, 2012
For me, there is no close second to Thanksgiving Dinner.  I love the food, family and the relaxing nature of the day.  It didn’t require hours and days of decorating, weeks of shopping or loads of preparation (though Holly might have a slightly different opinion).  At our house, it’s simple and direct…and completely enjoyable…and I give thanks for it all. 

There is though a great amount of calories available and it is my job to consume some of them and avoid others.  I know I’m weak, so I try to get in a decent workout before the whole thing begins. 
I started the morning by driving Heidi to run in the Cleveland Turkey Trot…a five-miler that attracts over 7,000 runners and making it one of the largest races of the year in Northeast Ohio.  Heidi invited me to join her, but I know the damage five miles of racing on pavement could do to my legs and declined the offer.  I did drive straight to the park for my workout, though.

I decided to push the envelope, incorporating a record 24 stations into the workout including more sprinting, high knees and extra core work.  When I returned to the car spent and sweaty on a beautiful morning, I found a text from Jason waiting for me.  He wanted to let me know he was playing in his annual Turkey Bowl football game to be followed by the first Thanksgiving Rugby match.  I’m his official photographer so I hurried home and returned to the high school in time to take some pictures of the action.  Dakota joined me…and then the game.  She seems to think anything involving running and a ball should also include her.  I pulled her from the action and ignored her while I took some pictures.  When I called her, she came from the bushes on the edge of the field, head down and looking guilty.  This could mean only one thing…she’d found something dead to roll in and would stink like hell.  As she drew closer, she was preceded by that fragrant, rotting corpse smell animals enjoy so much…and humans abhor.  Unfortunately, I would have to ride home with her in the Honda to give her a bath.

I managed excellent self-control during dinner.  My plate held corn, broccoli, turkey and sweet potatoes.  I passed on the mashed potatoes, dressing, noodles and the gravy.  For dessert, I took a small piece of Holly’s homemade apple pie.  That was it.  I left the table under my own power and was able to do the dishes without napping first.  I actually felt good…rare for that meal.  Well…there are leftovers and I will have to continue my efforts of self-discipline. 

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment