Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A night off for eel...

Thursday, July 18, 2013
After four days of hard riding, I elected to take a night off.  The dehydration is catching up with me and nothing good can come from too much exercise at this point.  Instead, I joined Holly and Savannah for dinner at a sushi bar in Beachwood where the menu may as well have been in Japanese for all the sense I could make of it.  Part of the blame goes to the low lighting, though I’d grabbed my reading glasses on the way out of the car, quite proudly.

“I can’t read this at all, but I remembered to bring in my reading glasses,” I said, reaching for the case from my pocket.  I opened it only to find it was empty.

“Damn…that sucks,” I said.  Savannah and Holly laughed.  They could read the menu and since they’d eaten raw fish many times before, knew what they were ordering.

“Are these things on the left page here dinners?  They look like it, but with the appetizers on the right side, I’m not so sure,” I said in frustration.  I could read the entrée’s but not the explanations under them.  I could see things like ‘salmon’ and ‘eel’, but that was about it.  Neither of the ladies with me was interested in helping, either.  I like unusual things and will eat most anything, so I went with the eel when the waitress appeared to take our orders.  I did notice that it was grilled at least.

And it was very good.  There was no bread, salad, vegetable or potato on the side or any of the traditional things I’ve come to expect whenever I eat out…or eat at all.  There were nine hunks of eel wrapped around something squishy, but tasty and with a sampling from both Holly and Savannah, I was satisfied by the time I finished.  With a stop at East Coast Custard on the ride home and a waffle cone full of mint chocolate chip ice cream, I returned a happy, contented man.  Tomorrow…back in the saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment