Monday, July 15, 2013

Squeaky chain...

Friday, July 12, 2013
When the bike mechanic suggested I wash down my bike after each ride in an effort to limit the damage of my ‘corrosive’ sweat, I asked about re-lubing.

“Bikes are designed for water so maybe…once a week?”

Sounded good to me, until I was about ten minutes into my ride and could hear squeaking coming from the vicinity of the crank.  I was riding by Kim’s street and considered swinging past her house.  With all the cyclists in that family, they were sure to have chain lubricant.  I hate to stop, though, and I’d convinced myself it was getting better.  Well…it wasn’t.

I rode on thinking at one point that my chain was going to snap.  I intentionally rode easier as I climbed just for that reason.  I’d taken my tires to 130 psi before starting the ride and had hoped it would make a difference in my performance time, but now that I was backing off on climbs, that couldn’t happen.

I felt extremely strong as I rode, though, squeaking be damned.  I powered slight rises and knew I was riding well.  I’d been riding consistently and had taken a day off to kayak, so I wasn’t surprised.  What did surprise me was pulling into the driveway three minutes faster than I’d ever ridden the course before.  I immediately washed off the bike…and re-lubed the chain.  My excessive sweating seems to break down the lubricants and adding water to the mix means lubing before every ride from now on.

Nilesh had seen me earlier in the day and pronounced that he was ‘pretty sure’ my hip pain was piriformis syndrome.  He didn’t completely rule out a bulging disc in my back, which would also lead to the sciatica pain I’d been experiencing, and prescribed stretching and strengthening exercises to deal with both.  He also has me taking one Aleve tablet with breakfast and dinner in an effort to bring down the inflammation.  He said that if this doesn’t work, we’ll try a more aggressive steroidal approach just before I leave on Tour Ohio. 

Bike duration:  Two hours and 2 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1750.

No comments:

Post a Comment