Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Washing down UB after rides...

Tuesday, July 9, 2013
I’ve been riding my bike for exercise since I was probably 14.  That’s a very long time and in all those years, I don’t think I’ve ever been through such a stretch of muggy weather.  The Cleveland weather channel announced that we set another terrific weather by having rain for 15 consecutive days during the summer months.  Never happened before in over 113 years of recording that kind of information.  I saw a facebook post from a friend living in Kirtland the other day saying he was thankful for the ‘much needed’ inch+ of rainfall they’d received.  Much needed?  Maybe if you’re trying to float an ark or own a mosquito colony.

Anyway, I started my ride thinking I was breathing molasses.  The air felt so thick and heavy; almost like I had a blanket over my shoulders.  I planned to ride two hours, but was prepared to shorten that depending on how I felt.  It went well, though I kept the pace to 16-17 mph, not worried about speed but only time in the saddle.  Once home, I took the advice of the bike mechanic and immediately hosed the sweat from the bike.  I wiped it down paying special attention to the cables and derailleur to remove as much grime and sweat as I possibly could.  He says it will make a difference, so I’ll give it a try.

After completing crud removal from the bike, I went to the neighbor’s pool to do the same to myself.  I’m wondering what all that corrosive sweat is doing to me if it can chew through, steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber.  My neighbor is probably wondering what it’s going to do to his pool liner.  Well…not my problem.  I toweled off and went inside to close up the house and put on the air conditioner for the first time this year.  I followed that with a large, delicious smoothie to replenish the carbs I’d been burning up.  I must admit, I love the routine following the bike ride.

Bike duration:  Two hours and 10 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1800.

No comments:

Post a Comment