Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Suprises in Amish country...

Saturday, July 20, 2013
I rose early (for me on a Saturday), had a banana for breakfast, filled my bottles with water and Gatorade and climbed aboard UB Express for a long ride.  I had the foresight to put some Vaseline on critical rub areas under my biking shorts since I knew I’d be sweating profusely and for a long time.  Sweat crystals are quite abrasive and when I’ve ridden over three hours, tend to have painful rashes if I don’t slather.

Whenever I ride long, I find it’s easiest to just head east for a long time and then turn around at some point.  I used that line of thinking as I headed east on Dines/Pekin Road…destination: Amish country.  I felt extremely strong as I rode the first hour, climbing hills quickly and easily and began wondering if I shouldn’t back off and save myself for later in the ride.  I didn’t.

I hit the church on the corner of Aquilla and Butternut after 90 minutes of riding and stopped to replenish my water bottle at their outdoor spigot.  I offered a quick prayer for the convenience and headed off.  My shoulders and neck continued to feel good as I approached the two-hour mark…something that had not been the case in some years.  I suppose it could be the increased riding or my constant attention to shifting my hand position on the bars to relieve tension.  As I approached my turnaround in what was becoming a 70+ mile ride, I thought I could easily go further.

As I started back, I rode more upright so I could take in the surroundings of the large Amish community through which I was passing.  I like to do this to take in the ambiance of this simpler, mechanized-free life these people lead…and mostly I wasn’t disappointed.  But then I heard a noise I hate as I approached a farm dwelling by the side of the road.  Holding a long tube and walking with what looked and sounded like a jetpack was a young Amish women with a leaf blower.  It looked so out of place on this plain blue, long-skirted and bonneted woman.  I passed by in distress.  Then…it got worse.  I saw a buggy approaching and always look to the occupants to pass a friendly smile and wave.  Except this buggy, driven by a younger man and with a young woman sitting in the ‘passenger’ seat were not looking out to wave to anybody.  As I rode past and looked in to what was diverting their attention, I was shocked to see her tapping away on some type of smart phone and him watching her text.  I pulled over my bike, grabbed my water bottle and rinsed my eyes to wash away what I’d just seen.  Holy hell…Amish people texting from buggies?  What was the world coming to?

I passed the 50-mile mark still feeling strong and continued that way through the final climb up River to Chardon Road just north of Squires Castle.  I finished feeling like I could have easily ridden another couple of hours with my neck and shoulders intact and reasonably pain free.  It had taken me a little over 4 hours to cover approximately 72 miles; a very positive note for me and Tour Ohio.

Bike duration:  Four hours and 20 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  3650.

No comments:

Post a Comment