Sunday, July 12, 2015

An honest to goodness bike ride...

Wednesday, July 8, 2015
I keep telling myself ‘you’ll get back to riding tomorrow’ and manage to put it off another day with a variety of excuses.  Too much hard work at the farm leaves me tired, but conditioned.  Extra jobs after work don’t leave enough time.  Getting the house ready to sell takes priority.  And…it’s raining again.  The last one is actually legit.  The others?  I could do any of them and still ride the bike for an hour or so without any real problem, but I’ve gotten lazy.
Well…I was close to running out of time for a ride in daylight when I just made myself change into my cycling outfit and hop on the bike.  Ninety minutes later I was happy with myself. 
The ride offered some challenges.  I noticed the groin injury almost immediately, but was determined to ride through it.  I was careful on hills and tried not to pull too hard on the pedals as you can when clipped to them, but for the first twenty minutes, it was nagging.  After that, I think it loosened to the point that it was no longer a problem though I was concerned about the next day.  With injuries like this, at some point you just have to try it out and see what happens.  I tend to do too much too soon, but not this time.  Well…let’s see what tomorrow brings.
I am trying to embrace being single.  For the first time since Holly left, I’ve told myself to enjoy this time.  I’m healthy and strong and my head is coming around to what I have to do to live the rest of my life with a semblance of sanity.  I can make a difference yet in the lives of others and in my own, so do it.  I can also just enjoy an evening of solitude and not having to answer to anyone’s needs.  It can be refreshing or disconcerting.  I’m trying to make it refreshing.
Bike duration:  90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.

Calories burned during workout:  1275.

No comments:

Post a Comment