Thursday, July 2, 2015

Couch potato...

Thursday, July 02, 2015

I woke around 4 a.m. wondering if there was any improvement in the ‘groin situation’.  I was laying on my side and began to turn to my back when the pain stopped me cold.  I spent the next several minutes positioning myself to get up and out of bed for a trip to the bathroom.  Once on my feet, I stepped gingerly forward and almost toppled to the floor as the pain radiated from my groin around to my back.  I yelped in pain, but only Dakota was there to hear it.  She seemed rather disinterested.

Ten minutes later and with tears in my eyes, I was back in bed and thinking there was no way I was going to work in two hours.  I woke again at six and texted the farm that I wouldn’t be in.  I now knew that this was beyond ‘wait and see’ and would have to include a trip to the doctor.  Damn.  Hate spending money on something that I’m sure will clear up shortly, but since I was completely incapacitated, is seemed sensible.  I got up around 8 and made my way ever so slowly to my office to type an email to Mark Mendeszoon.  I mentioned that the heel was acting up again, as well and suggested that a lethal injection for someone so old and feeble might be appropriate.  He wrote back that it wasn’t yet legal.

He called and after hearing my description of the pain, felt that it was most definitely a severe groin injury.  “Ice for ten and heat for ten.  Take Advil in the maximum prescribed dosage on the bottle and stay the hell off your bike,” he said.

I spent the day on the sofa mostly and followed his advice.  I stayed away from the Advil because it isn’t something my stomach likes after the ulcer.  I’d asked Jason to stop by and get my camping gear out of the attic so I could take it on my trip to see Jack in Florida the following day.  By the time he arrived in the late afternoon, I was actually starting to feel better and considered climbing into the attic myself to get the gear.  Of course that would have been idiotic and although I am, I resisted the urge.

Exercise on hold for now, but I must admit to many things going on inside my head about new goals.  For starters, John and I are planning and preparing for a trip to the Adirondacks the second weekend in August.  It won’t be a difficult one as we will target short climbs and none of the 46’ers.  By September, I hope to be heading back that way again and maybe climbing a little more aggressively.  That will force me onto the bike on a regular basis and climbing up things with a backpack and weight in place for leg strengthening.  The more drastic ideas will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment