Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Nineties and high humidity can change some things...

Sunday, July 19, 2015
The heat and humidity remained on Sunday and I knew my commitment to work out would wane as the day progressed, so I forced myself to go to the park early for a Survival Workout.  I told myself I could do that and then, if I could push the limits, I’d go to the bleachers after family dinner and do a thousand or so steps.  First things first, though.

I knew just how lousy the workout conditions were when Dakota struggled to keep up with me as I walked from station to station.  I haven’t been doing the workout consistently, but was able to do 90 push-ups at the start.  As is often the case with layoffs, I found the second and third set much more difficult; the muscular endurance just wasn’t there.  I will continue to fit in the Survival Workout just because I know and appreciate the importance of balance in conditioning, but my focus as I prepare for trips to the Adirondacks will be on endurance and the ability to walk many miles with elevations changes.  Cycling and climbing bleachers with a weighted pack has done the trick in the past, so no need to re-invent the wheel now.  I am compelled to be the person in the best shape when going there, too, since I’m the one encouraging others to go and don’t want to be the weak link in the chain. 

I completed the workout with 20 sets, not as hard as the previous outing, but more than enough to feel like I’d put in a good day.  Dakota struggled to hop back in the car, partially from exhaustion and partially because she’s getting to be an old lady.  I wanted to do some painting and staining on a couple of different jobs, but decided it could wait until the coming week when the temperatures would again go below ninety.  Sometimes you just need to stay inside and suck up the air conditioning.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes. 
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.
Calories Burned: 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment