Friday, July 24, 2015

Heel pain and birthday greetings...

Wednesday, July 22, 2015
Today is the birthday of my youngest and I felt some frustration over not being able to be with him or speak to him.  He is stationed in Pensacola, Florida, going through an intense Military Intelligence course with the Army.  Though I’m sure this has been a great move for him in his life journey, I can’t help but remember the thing that drove him to this decision was his mom leaving and our marriage breaking up.  It depresses me just a little and I wish he was back home, but in the end I’m sure it will be the best thing he could have done.

I had another hard day on my feet, painting at the farm and then painting the front of my house afterwards.  I remember clearly when all my heel problems began.  I was working for the YMCA at the time and went from there to a remodeling job Jason and I were working.  Between the two, I was on my feet 14 hours a day and in shoes with little support.  After three weeks of this, I could hardly stand the pain in either foot.  It dissipated in my left, but the right heel never got better.  The cortisone shot last winter was the first relief I’d experienced in six months, but that pain is back and likely due to the amount of time I’m spending on my feet and ladders over the summer.

Savannah stopped by with Copper and asked me if I’d like to go for a hike.  It was the last thing my heel needed, but I felt the need to do something and the bleachers were my other consideration.  We drove to the park and I strapped on the pack. 

We hiked for an hour and I could feel the pain with each step.  I resolved to call the doctor and discuss another cortisone shot before my trip to the Adirondacks next week.  I did notice general fatigue from the hike with a 40-pound pack, but based on the recent workouts, not too surprising.

Hike duration: One hour.
Training Heart Rate: 100 bpm.
Calories Burned: 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment