Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Savannah's 23 and I'm celebrating with apple pie ala mode...

Monday, July 13, 2015
Savannah turned 23 today and I had told her I’d take her out to ‘The Local Tavern’ for dinner where I tend to load up on cheesy fries and a burger smothered in things loaded with fatty calories.  Not your ideal training meal for a guy whose supposedly turned the corner.  Ah…what the hell.
I was reading the burger menu when I noticed a sidebar which claimed that any burger entrée could be made with a chicken breast.
“So you can make that 2, 000 calorie dinner I usually eat with a chicken breast so that it’ll have only…like…1,800 calories?” I asked our waitress.
“Absolutely,” she replied.
“I’ll take it.”
But I didn’t eat it all and I left at least half the fries on my plate.  I mean I’m really getting serious again.  I’d gone to the park before dinner and spent a hard 50 minutes doing 22 different sets of exercises for my Survival Workout.  I hadn’t done one in two weeks and it was a pathetic effort, but I did it.  I found that my first set of anything was off about ten percent, but the second and thirds were more like a third off.  I was exhausted and paying the price for the layoff, but I still pushed myself to do as much as I could and the 22 sets toasted me.  I was also considering LuAnn who would be going through the workout tomorrow for the first time and I figured if I was a wet noodle, I’d go easier on her.  She recently moved to Jefferson and has found that her commitment to exercise has waned.  She has expressed an interest in going to the Adirondacks, but as a true outdoor person, understands the need to be in shape if she’s going to enjoy the backcountry.  She asked me to lay out a program for her using her 2-acre yard and I’m more than happy to oblige. 
After dinner, I returned home and found the Dutch Apple Pie from Patterson’s was still sitting on the counter in the kitchen.  Not sure where I thought it would go since I live alone and that’s where I left it, but there it was not four feet from the freezer and a container of Breyer’s Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.  Damn.  I caved, warmed the apple pie, added the ice cream and watched a rerun of ‘Lost’.  Well…three days in a row of formal exercise, at least.
Survival Workout:  60 minutes
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.

Calories burned:  600

No comments:

Post a Comment