Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Maple syrup, Adirondack plans and no more smoking...

Wednesday, July 1, 2015
I was getting back into the swing of regular exercise and woke Sunday morning thinking about what I’d be doing that day to accomplish my workout goal.  Then I swung my legs around and put them on the floor only to feel a sharp pain in my right groin.  I rose painfully and stepped gingerly towards the bathroom.  The pain radiated across the groin and down my leg.  Now, I’d been healthy and happy when I’d gone to bed the previous evening, but now seemed injured to the point that I couldn’t even walk.  What the hell do I do in my sleep?
As with most injuries, I tend to think exercise will improve them.  It felt better as I moved and so I put on my cycling shorts and headed for the trainer since it was pouring outside.  I spent the next hour riding while watching another episode of ‘Dexter’ and felt fine when I dismounted.  It would be the last time I felt fine through the writing of this story four days later.
I did go to work Monday and that was a mistake.  I tried to get some things done and spent time on ladders and lifting heavy things.  Always the appropriate therapy for a groin strain.  Tuesday was more of the same except that I was hurting more with the limping causing further pain in my hip.  I had a meeting scheduled with LuAnn to pick up some home made maple syrup and discuss a trip to the Adirondacks, something I wasn’t about to miss.  I changed and struggled into my car, which is the most painful part of any movement.
She lives in Jefferson, which is in the middle of nowhere Ohio and a lovely community with perfect riding roads.  I pulled into the drive of her home, a converted church from the early 1800’s, and was immediately jealous.  There were a couple of cars in the drive, but she was moving and this is to be expected.  I spent five minutes climbing out of the car with pain etched across my face, but no one could see me so my manliness was maintained.
“Oh Bonnie – this is my friend, John.  He’s out here to pick up some syrup and talk about the Adirondacks,” LuAnn said as a way of introduction.
Bonnie said ‘hello’ and turned to LuAnn to say goodbye.  She looked to me then and said, “would you mind moving your car?”
Well…hell yes, I’d mind.  Didn’t she see me convulsing as I’d exited it three minutes earlier?  “No problem,” I replied.
Ten minutes later, sweating blood, I was back on her porch with her son, Aaron.  We discussed camping, kayaking and backcountry trips for the next hour before it was Aaron’s turn to leave.  They both knew about my groin strain and he suggested to his mom that he’d simply drive on the grass to go around the Toyota.
“Don’t worry – I’ll move it.  I like whining like a little girl in front of your mom,” I said.  And I did.
We went over some of my favorite spots to camp and climb until her daughter Kristen, Aaron’s twin, arrived from work.  She too, had an interest in things outdoors and being physical, but when she rose from the park and headed for her car to have a cigarette, I was outraged.
“Are you kidding me?  You’re a SMOKER?”  She headed sheepishly for her car.
When she returned, I laid into her again, but kindly.  We talked about running and pr’s and I assured her I could have her running fast, she had a distance build, if she’d quit the smokes and following a training program I would lay out.  LuAnn was interested, as well.
“You look like you work out,” Kristen said.
“I do what I call the Survivor’s Workout,” I said and described some of the ritual to them both.  LuAnn rides 30 miles at a crack, “but easy’,” she said though she touched her arms with concern over the lack of tone.
“Read ‘Younger Next Year’ and let me design a workout you can do right here in the yard and you’ll get back the muscle tone you want,” I said.  She was quite interested and we planned for me to return next week to set it up and put her through a workout.  “I’ll bring my skinfold calipers and we’ll do a body fat assessment and fitness test so you can see how much improvement you make, too.”  She didn’t look too enthused about that, though.

I climbed painfully into my car after two more hours of conversation and a gallon of maple syrup.  Back home, I pulled out bread for French toast and left over waffles from Sunday’s brunch, cooked them and lathered them in butter and maple syrup.  Though the pain continued in my groin, packed in ice as I ate, the syrup made me forget for the moment.  Damned good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment