Sunday, July 26, 2015

Lost my Adirondack partner...for now.

Thursday, July 23, 2015
I managed to complete my painting projects at the farm, at least for the next couple of weeks, but still found myself, as the job calls for, walking and on my feet all day.  MY heel continued to hurt unabated and I sent an email to Mark Mendeszoon, my foot doc, by day’s end asking about getting in before the Adirondacks.
I drove to Jefferson after work to take Kristen through her first Survival Workout.  LuAnn was prepared to join us and they both dove in with vigor.  Kristen swore to having no upper body strength, but like her mom, managed a few good push-ups when encouraged.  We went through our first rotation that included all major body parts before she asked about a jog to the end of the block.
“I know you want me to do a 5K with you and I want to do that, but I’ve got this foot thing going right now that has to get addressed before I run another step in my life,” I admitted.  She accepted that lameness and she and her mom started down the block.  While they were gone, I pulled my pack from the car and did sixty step-ups with it on my back.  I dropped to attempt a set of push-ups and was up to about 12 and nearing the end when I heard them approaching.  I started counting out loud,”…forty-seven, forty-eight…”
“Wow!  You can do that many with a weighted pack on?  Veeeery impressive,” LuAnn said.
Well sure.  I didn’t confirm or deny.  Anything to impress the women.
Kristen began to struggle on the second rotation and we agreed that she should not do a third.  LuAnn, on the other hand, was looking like she’d been doing the workout for years.  She’s completely into it and it’s showing already.
“So…ready for your trip to the Adirondacks next week? I asked.
“Umm…about that.  I really don’t think I can make the trip.  I don’t think I’m ready, but was wondering about September?  Could Kristen make it by then?”
We planned it that way and I told Kristen it would make a good training goal for her.  “I’ll take you up something challenging, like Giant Mt., which is a good 2-hour hike up with around 3,000 feet of elevation gain.  It’s a workout and you need to be ready,” I said.
She headed for the front yard as LuAnn and I did another few sets.  We finished and were walking towards the front to join her when a familiar smell assaulted my senses.
“Kristen!  You’re smoking!?”
She looked at me sheepishly as she disposed of the evidence.  This will be an interesting challenge.
We discussed our coming movie night and planned to do a Survival Workout on my home turf before the spaghetti dinner and a night with one of my favorites, the movie ‘Frequency’.  I’ll be heading to the Adirondacks the next day and may have John for company.  I’m going, in any event and climbing something sore foot, or not.
Survival Workout:  60 minutes
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.

Calories burned:  600

No comments:

Post a Comment