Thursday, December 27, 2012

A little hike before surgery...


Sunday, December 23, 2012
It was the last chance to make a significant dent in all the tasks I needed to complete by Christmas Eve and I was up early to have at it.  I started on the trainer and rode for 65 minutes before church.  I figured that all I’d be missing was some sleep and how committed am I if I can’t give up some of that for an exercise program? 

I spent the next several hours working in a cold garage and by the time John arrived for a pre-Christmas get-together, I was numb to the bone.  We went inside and exchanged gifts while I warmed up enough for our Metropark hike. 

John is headed for surgery…again…on the 28th.  He’s been able to do very little since the crash and shoulder injury he suffered this past August.  The surgery is to attempt and correct issues he’s having with his left shoulder in hopes that he will again be able to at least sleep on that side and at most, be able to hike with a heavy pack on his back this coming summer.  The hike…off-trail and for 70 minutes…was the most exercise he’s done in months.  He’s packing some holiday pounds around his mid-section, too, and we’re going to have our work cut out for us getting him ready for a spring hiking trip.  I know once he’s got the shoulder surgery behind him he’ll fall right into step with a regular program and the weight will come off.  Until then, I’ll give him shit about it.

Savannah and I went late-night shopping and almost completed our purchases but I’ll still have a couple of stops to make Christmas Eve morning.  There was a day when I actually enjoyed last-minute shopping, the crowds, the deals the craziness.  That was long ago in a place far, far away.  I’ll remember this and do better next year.

Hike duration:  70 minutes. Bike duration: 65 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 80 hiking and 120 bpm biking.
Calories burned during workout: 350 for the hike and 925 biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment