Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Edging closer to 100...


Saturday, December 15, 2012
I was supposed to meet Bruce at the park to do the Survival Workout at 9 a.m., which was a good thing.  He always wants to work out early and I’m a bit of a procrastinator on the weekends, so I figured this would be a nice jump-start on a busy day.  Then the phone rang…

“John…I’m a little hung over and I don’t think I’m in nearly good enough shape to have you dragging me through the woods this morning.  I’m going to bow out on you.  Sorry,” Bruce said over the phone…sounding like shit.

“Don’t worry.  And I’ll never, ever bring it up that you wussed out.  Ever,” I promised.

I was dressed and ready to go, so I went.  I’d done a pretty good workout on Wednesday, but with the extra day off was feeling pretty strong so I suppose I wasn’t too surprised when I hit 80 push-ups and still felt I had something left.  I passed 90 and struggled to do 2 more, which was 2 more than I’d ever done before.  I’d told Kim I was hoping to crack 100 over the holidays and with her in tow and it was looking like I might actually make it.  I’ve been doing the incline push-ups for about a year now and since I could do a little over 50 on my first try, it was taking a hell of a long time to double that number.  I also pr’d on my four set total with 262…they get progressively harder when they’re mixed in with 20 other exercises.

I was psyched with the workout and the early start and managed to keep my engine running in the red all day.  I made it to Home Depot to purchase the wood I needed to build Heidi’s cabinets and did all the prep work so that I could work on them the next day.  I took Savannah up to Performance Bikes and we picked out her Christmas present.  I was planning on buying it without her, but decided it was better to have her along and fit it to her instead of guessing.  We picked out a Schwinn hybrid and when she rode it around the store, I knew she was hooked.  She’s been riding a bike we got her when she was about 12, which didn’t fit her so well, and had forgotten just how good it can feel to be on a bike that does.  Like all my kids, she’s into exercise but has never done much biking.  I’d like to hook her and get her to join me on part of my ‘Tour Ohio’ this coming summer. Step one is complete.
I did more shopping and completed a number of tasks inside and out once returning home.  What I didn’t do was another workout.  I had been hoping to get in some time on the trainer or even a ride outdoors, but time just got away from me.  It’s the holidays and that can happen.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment