Sunday, December 9, 2012

UB Express rides like a dream...


Friday, December 7, 2012

I don’t know when I felt the need to name the bikes I ride…but I do.  I took the Trek 2300 my uncle gave me out for its maiden Ohio voyage and thought as I rode about an appropriate name.  My uncle called it ‘The Feather’ because when he purchased it in 1992, it was one of the lightest models available.  Well, compared to today's carbon fiber lightweights, it’s probably more of a light-heavyweight, but it’s still several pounds lighter than ‘Big Red’, the aluminum Trek 1400 I’ve been riding.  Anyway, I didn’t think ‘The Feather’ fit and I wanted something original and decided on ‘Uncle Bill’s Express’ or ‘UB’ for short.

It was cold for riding and I had only about an hour before dark.  I wore my tights and upper body under armor, two pairs of socks, a stocking cap under my helmet and some fantastic riding mittens…another gift from my uncle.  I was quite comfortable with the exception of my toes, which always seem to be an issue.  The riding mittens have a normal thumb compartment, but there are two compartments for fingers, each encasing two fingers and allowing for better control of hand brakes and gear shifts while keeping the digits that much warmer than gloves would.  They worked beautifully and I highly recommend them.

I managed 80 minutes of riding with the final 15 in the dark.  There were no reflectors on UB, so that was a bad decision though almost all of that time was on sidewalks and side streets with almost no traffic.

I continued to down Kefir a couple of times a day and for the second straight day, I would say my stomach was completely normal.  I owe it all to the Postman…a great friend and loyal reader who wouldn’t take no for an answer.  Thanks for reminding me, Randy.  I’ll never be slow on the draw again.

Bike Duration: 80 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1125.

No comments:

Post a Comment