Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas Day, 2012


Tuesday, December 25, 2012
Holly had made her way to bed at 7 a.m., so I knew we wouldn’t be opening presents at eight.  I made my way to the kitchen about nine and just in time for Jason to arrive carrying gifts and looking rather chipper for having spent most of his evening celebrating his birthday in a bar.  He was ready for Christmas to begin and decided he’d go upstairs to visit, and wake, his siblings.  I knew I needed to take instant action if I was to placate him for any amount of time and give Holly another hour of sleep.  She still had to cook our Christmas dinner after all, and I didn’t want her falling asleep at the stove in the early afternoon.

“You guys hungry?  How about I make us some scrambled eggs and bacon?” I offered.

“Well…I hurried over here to open presents and skipped breakfast so…okay,” he said.  He still went up the stairs to annoy his sisters and brother, but at least he’d let Holly sleep.

I broke 18 eggs into a mixing bowl while sautéing spinach, mushrooms and onions in olive oil and frying bacon.  The smell of bacon on the stove worked better at getting the kids moving than Jason’s persistent and annoying presence in their rooms and by ten I had them all fed, the kitchen cleaned up and Holly present for…presents.

We celebrated all morning and then everyone went off to play with their new toys.  Savannah and Jack were particularly excited since they both had new bikes.  Savannah’s wasn’t a surprise…she’d helped me pick it out at Performance Bikes earlier in the month, but Jack had no idea.  I’d decided to give him Big Red after I’d received the UB Express from my Uncle Bill.  He’s almost 6’4”, so the frame won’t fit him well, but he’s excited about getting out and developing his calves.

“I want my calves to look like yours,” he’d told me a couple of months ago and had wanted to know which lifts he should perform to accomplish that task.

“Well since I don’t lift, but have been riding a bike since I was your age, I’d say you better get out on a bike with me,” I’d said.

With this thought, I’m guessing he’ll be interested in some longer rides as soon as the weather breaks.  He’s a committed body building weight lifter.

I had a couple of hours before dinner and the arrival of Holly’s dad, so I hopped on the trainer.  I was at the 35-minute mark when Holly stuck her head in my office to tell me her father had arrived.  “You can keep riding though, I have him vacuuming the living room.”

I couldn’t leave him to her and house chores…he’d be washing the kitchen floor if given the chance.  He’s 92 and can’t sit still.  I showered quickly and joined him.

I didn’t burn the calories I should have and ate some things I shouldn’t have.  It was Christmas after all, so what was I really expecting?  I assure you I won’t be waiting for January 1st to be making adjustments and I know this coming year will find me in the best shape of my life as I pursue ‘Tour Ohio’.  As with everything I do, it’ll start again tomorrow…and go on forever.

Bike Duration: 35 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 475.

No comments:

Post a Comment