Thursday, December 20, 2012

The cognitive process...

Tuesday, December 18, 2012
We put up a real tree each year and over the past several years...since the girls went off to college...I’m usually waiting until the final week before Christmas for them to come home to pick one out.  We were going to go on Sunday, but that little thing with the router had left me out of the mood.  Now it was Tuesday and time was running short.  I arrived home after doing a run in the park and told Savannah we’d go as soon as mom arrived with the van.  Netted trees fit nicely in the back of a minivan when you have the seats down, so I didn’t want to go through trying to tie to the roof.  Holly was working late for a west side client, so when she finally pulled in the garage, it was after 8.

Savannah, Jack and I were driving to the local nursery where we’d gotten a tree over the last several years, but a darkened parking lot greeted us as we turned in.

“Why don’t we go to that place by the high school?” Savannah suggested.

We did...and with the same result.  Jack was confused.

“Why do we wait so long to get a tree every year?”  he asked.

Savannah looked at me and smiled.  She knew what was coming.

“Jack...who goes with us every year to get the tree?”

I could see him pondering this trick question in the rear view mirror.  He waited a moment, then said, “um...Heidi and Savannah usually come.”

He still wasn’t putting it together, so I gave him another hint.  “And where have Heidi and Savannah been for the last eight years in the weeks before Christmas?”

“They...um...college?”

“Yay Jack!” Savannah squealed.

Poor guy.  His mouth often times gets ahead of his brain.  When it engages...it works.
We drove home and made plans to return the following evening.  I drank more of my Kefir before eating my dinner and I would like to think that since it has been two weeks since my last stomach discomfort, I am cured...or at least in remission.  Again...thanks, Postman.

Run Duration:  35 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment