Wednesday, December 26, 2012

More calories...bad calories...


Friday, December 21, 2012
With four days left before Christmas, I concluded that it was now or never for presents.  Normally, I have a solid idea of what I’m getting for Holly before heading to the stores, which would have been a real asset today, but I had nothing…much.  I try to make mental notes throughout the year when I hear her commenting on something that would be a good present, but mental notes are not my strong point.  I was drawing blanks.  I spent a couple of hours in the kinds of stores where I knew they sold things she liked, but it wasn’t working.  I went home with a couple of lame gifts and a determination to lassou one of my daughters into coming with me over the weekend to complete the task.

I took Savannah and one of her old cross country teammates who’d heard about the Survival Workout and wanted to try it to the park for a go.  We picked her up and she warned us that she might be barfing along the course since she’d had a huge lunch a couple of hours ago.  I would have liked to tell her that she’d probably be alright, but I don’t like to lie.

“I hope those fancy running shoes weren’t expensive because you’ll be wearing lunch on them shortly,” I promised.  She knows me and my coaching style…and she was frightened.

She’s young and a runner though, and like Savannah, knows how far to push herself if she wants to keep her cookies down.  I, on the other hand, was looking at going out to dinner that evening and wanted to push myself to burn every calorie I could.  I also like to show off to young kids that I can still exercise like I’m not 57 years old.  We’d already done some sprinting when we reached the karaoke hill and half way up, Savannah gave in to fatigue.  The combination of sprinting with the up hill climbing is enough to fatigue even well-conditioned people, but she was still discouraged with herself.  She recovered quickly though, and had no further troubles during the workout.

I was hoping for a little time on the trainer before having to leave for dinner, but taking two people through a workout takes longer and I had to give up the idea.  We went to ‘Fat Fish Blues’ for dinner where I had two cups of sweet potato turkey soup, a large loaf of corn bread and a huge mushroom burger.  It was too much food and I passed on the dessert.  We followed that with a trip to the State Theatre where we saw the Mannheim Steamroller performing their Christmas show. 

We returned home after the show and had the couple that had taken us in for drinks and more desserts.  This time, I caved to the cookies, but went with a smoothie for my drink.  By the end of the evening though, I was full to bursting and ashamed of complete lack of self-control for the evening.  And it’ll like get worse before it gets better…

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment