Friday, December 7, 2012

Time for some kefir...

Sunday, December 2, 2012

After a day of eating anything and everything...and particularly things I don’t eat normally, I began to suffer with an upset stomach again.  I was sitting at a hockey match with my cousins Donnie and Pat and watching Pat’s son playing a game for SUNY Canton, a strong Division III hockey program.  He’d already scored a goal and had an assist on another when my pains came in earnest.  I left my seat with my cousin to walk around the sports complex, hoping movement would improve it.  It didn’t.  While I was moving about, I received a text from the Postman.  He’s been reading my blog religiously and knew I was going through more stomach problems.  He’d written to me on my first go-around with some advice I’d ignored.  The text began ‘I repeat...try kefir.’  It had more than that...but the timing was perfect and he got my attention.  I called him and asked him about it and where I’d find it in the North Country. 

“The dairy section...with the yogurt.  Get the berry flavored one...it’s not too bad,” he said.

I found it where he’d said I would, but they only had plain.  How bad could it be?  I purchased it and went to the truck where Donnie was waiting.  I quickly shook and opened it and began to drink.  Except it wasn’t very drinkable.

“Ugh...this stuff is horrible...and lumpy,” I said after a couple of swallows.

It had the look and consistancy of liquid yogurt and a sour taste.  I tried a couple of more swallows before concluding I’d never get it down in any large quantity except as part of a smoothie.  When we arrived back at his house and I poured some into the blender, everyone who had been thinking of sharing the smoothie with me, graciously allowed me to keep it for myself.  When mixed with my normal smoothie ingredients, I hardly noticed it and quickly managed to drink eight ounces.

While I was waiting for the miracle food to fix what ailed me, I began researching kefir on the internet and found a description of it that reads this way: 

Kefir is a cultured, enzyme-rich food filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your “inner ecosystem.” More nutritious and therapeutic than yogurt, it supplies complete protein, essential minerals, and valuable B vitamins.

I sat up with Donnie for the next hour waiting to feel better, but it wasn’t happening.  I went to bed and tossed for a couple of hours before the pain finally went…and stayed…away.

No comments:

Post a Comment