Monday, March 24, 2014

A 'cool' ride...

Friday, March 21, 2014
Since I’d done so little outdoor riding through the winter, Friday’s mid-forties temperature did not seem very inviting for a ride.  A year ago, I’d done at least half of my winter rides outdoors because of the lack of snow and warmer temperatures…warmer being a relative word.  I’d taken several rides with temperatures below 35 degrees then, so mid-forties should have seemed like a heat wave.  With that in mind, I dressed for a ride and steeled myself. 

My clothing concessions to the weather amounted to two pair of socks, gloves, a long-sleeved t-shirt under my riding jersey and a stocking hat under my helmet.  All proved to be effective – almost.

I headed out with the wind at my back thinking I’d ride around 30 miles.  The roads were almost completely dry; there was some snow melt from extremely high piles that were still melting.  I headed into Waite Hill riding up several minor hills, forcing myself out of the saddle.  I had a good sweat rolling when I turned around and began heading into the wind for the second half of the ride.

Now the chill factor was kicking in.  It was getting late and the sun was setting.  With a 20mph blow in my face, it felt more like 10 degrees.  I was still plenty warm except my feet.  I had about 30 minutes to get home and they were painful.  Pulling into the driveway was a relief, though walking on frozen feet proved painful as I stepped from the bike.

I should have worn my booties.  I could have ridden on the trainer.  I’m glad I didn’t, though.  I’d have never ridden two hours inside and if I have any hope of being ready for a birthday triathlon, I need some road miles.  After a warming shower, I spent an hour doing yard work; cutting the oriental grasses I should have removed the previous fall and raking leaves out of the gardens.  I needed to get a jump on my yard so I could spend the weekend working with Nathan on the boat.

Bike duration: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories Burned: 1700.

No comments:

Post a Comment