Saturday, March 29, 2014

Hiking in Sand Run Metro Park

Wednesday, March 26, 2014
I drove to Akron after work to pick Heidi up from her job with the Akron Beacon Journal.  We had plans for dinner, but since I hadn’t had a chance to do anything for a workout, I suggested a hike at Sand Run Metro Park.

We parked and I set my keys on the hood while I changed into my hiking shoes.  There was a cool breeze blowing and I considered an extra layer, but Sand Run offers many steep climbing trails and I picked one so we could work up a sweat and stay comfortable without the extra gear.

We were half way up a ridge and breathing heavily when Heidi began to complain about her conditioning.  “I’m glad we’re not in the Adirondacks right now.  I am WAY out of shape.”
The hill we were climbing was at least twice as high and considerably steeper than any trail in the North Chagrin Reservation.  It would be an excellent training park for hiking in the Adirondacks and the runs I’d done here had left me exhausted.  We crested the hill and walked along the ridge to an open field which we quickly realized served as a sledding hill.  At the top was a large, steel chimney with a sliding hatch at the bottom that was partially open.  There was smoke and an orange glow emanating from it and when I realized it was a warming pit for sledders, I was jealous.  There was a pile of fire wood off to one side and since the coals were burning down, I decided to throw a couple of logs in.  To accomplish this, I needed to lift them overhead and toss them up over the top to the top of the chimney, which was about seven feet tall.  “Now I want to stay here and burn wood and get smoke all over my clothes.  I love that campfire smell,” I said.

Heidi was not interested in watching the fire; she had eating on her mind and so we turned and headed back to the car.  We managed an hour of hiking and congratulated ourselves on doing a little something before eating a greasy cheeseburger and fries at Larry’s.

Hike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  90 bpm.

Calories burned during workout:  350.

No comments:

Post a Comment