Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Icy run...

Tuesday, 3/25/2014
Yesterday’s back pain was a fading memory.  As I drove home from Warren though, snow began to fall.  I had a dinner engagement with Marla, my partner in ‘OhioActive’ and long-time friend.  I had a limited opportunity to work out and with the snow falling and road conditions worsening, I started to worry I’d miss another workout.  Since I was driving by the East Branch Reservoir, home of my eagle nest and the best pictures I’d ever gotten of a bald eagle and some damned good running trails, I decided to pull in and run before the trails were snow-covered.

I managed about five minutes of running on a bridle trail before coming to a stretch that was snow-covered.  As I started running across and my feet began sliding, I realized it wasn’t snow at all, but ice.  Like a cartoon character, I went through several spins with flailing arms before regaining some semblance of balance and dignity, as I came to a stop…without falling.  I walked gingerly for several yards before again finding clear trail.  This pattern continued for the next several miles and with the wind whistling snow in my face, I found myself back at the car covered in ice and soaked through to my skin in what seemed like a death march.  I’d managed 45 minutes; a very good effort and much closer to my goal of 59 minutes I’d need to do for the birthday run in three weeks.  I really need a couple of weeks of clean roads and warmer temperatures if I’m to get in the riding distance I need and unless I install an ice breaker on the front of the kayak, I doubt I’ll be in the water anytime soon.  I really should have been born in June…or live closer to the equator.

Run duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories Burned: 765.

No comments:

Post a Comment