Friday, March 7, 2014

Survival Workout indoors...

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I changed into my workout clothes and headed off into the bowels of the Y to do my indoor version of the Survival Workout.  I’ve been very inconsistent with the workout though I had done a tough one on Monday and because of that inconsistency, was feeling the ache of inactivity in my core.  I started as I always do; feet up on a rail and into the push-up position.  This move requires good core strength and control, which also means if your core is sore, you’ll quickly know it.  I managed 65 reps before collapsing to the floor.

I added one new move during the workout that proved to be quite difficult.  Though I have often taken stairs two at a time, I’ve never tried hopping up two stairs at a time, which proved to be much more difficult than I would have imagined.  I did this for three flights and was ready to heave when I reached the top step.  Though I would normally do a particular set three times during a workout, I concluded one of these was enough for today.

I’m trying to create a ‘boot camp’ workout for the Y to include all the ingredients of a complete workout.  Moves of speed, power, agility, balance, muscular endurance for all the muscle groups will find their way into the final product.  I’m hoping to convert an unused Racquet Ball court into a room where we will utilize a Boxmaster to simulate boxing, traverse rock climbing wall, hitting heavy bags, rope skipping, core and agility work and drills, rope climbs, and a myriad of calisthenics for the total body workout.  Once it’s in place, we will offer something unique to the community and it’ll work.  We will have an actual prize fighter taking people through the workout session, probably a little less than an hour, so they will be getting authenticity.  I anticipate doing it myself on a regular basis.

I arrived home late and did not do a bike ride; so no double.  The time change is coming (spring ahead on Sunday) and then I’ll arrive home with enough daylight to go out for a ride.  Once that happens, I know I’ll drop the winter weight quickly and find it much easier to stick with my routine.  I can’t wait.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.
Calories Burned: 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment