Thursday, March 20, 2014

Love the mud...

Tuesday, March 18, 2014
It was fifty and sunny…what a day for a ride, kayak, run, Survival Workout in the park, or eating a big bowl of ice cream and pretending to do all of those other things.

I opted for the Survival Workout with the hopes of getting home in time to get in a ride outside.  The trails remain sloppy and will likely stay that way until, oh, June.  We need a long stretch of warm, dry weather to solidify them; something Northeast Ohio has in short supply.  This time of year, I tend to pack a pair of mud shoes in the car and just recognize that I’m going to return from a run covered in mud…and so what?  As a child, I’d have splashed in slop and covered myself in filth with no apparent concern.  Partially because I wasn’t the one cleaning the stuff I was wearing, though I would have been smart enough to take the shoes off before entering the house (I tend to lose sight of that every now and again these days and track mud throughout the house up to the point I get my assed kicked).  Even with my mud shoes on, I still try to avoid the puddles on the trails until I hit one that completely soaks my shoes.  Once that happens, I start running through them on purpose.  Its fun, easier, and I can turn in a faster time on the course.  In other words, I can remain a child.

I completed the Survival Workout with slimy shoes and drove home still thinking I’d have time for a ride.  Once there, the side-tracking began.  I went to the computer and answered some emails, pulled out the salmon I was planning on making for dinner, had a discussion with Jack about working out, and spent some time with a neighbor.  And then it was too late.

The salmon turned out well and my neighbor appreciated my pontification on whatever subject I was pontificating about…so that was good.  I’m continuing to look forward to those long summer days when I have three hours of daylight after work.  Soon… 

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.
Calories Burned: 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment