Saturday, March 29, 2014

Trumbull County YMCA...

Thursday, March 27, 2014

I had been preparing for this night’s Board meeting for the last three months.  I’ve been working for the Trumbull County YMCA since last October and during the first two months had come to the conclusion that some drastic measures needed to be taken if the facility was to survive in its current location.  The building, constructed in 1928, has many challenges that one might expect of something this old.  Operationally, they have struggled over the last 20 years as the city of Warren and the surrounding area has seen so much of the industry that made it so robust in the 60’s, close down and move away.  As a result, some of the facilities and equipment have not kept up with the times and evolving needs and wants of today’s fitness population.
 
I recognized that what we needed to do and could afford to do were two different things if we were to try and embark on this journey with only the members of the facility.  I also recognized that a YMCA is not only for its members; that it has a larger mission and purpose to serve the entire community by offering programs and a space where all ages can find a way to healthier spirits, minds, and bodies. 

I have been on a campaign since arriving to enlist the communities business and political leaders to embrace our mission and recognize the necessity of the Y in its present location on the town square.  I believe I have accomplished this and so when I presented the Board with a strategic plan that outlined our need to spend $355K on a new roof, a completely updated weight room, creation of a signature ‘Back to Basics Boot Camp’ that would include simulated boxing, rock climbing and a myriad of exercises utilizing medicine balls, ropes, peg boards, and heavy objects to lift and balance, a new youth locker room and 20 new spinning bikes, they agreed and gave me their support.  Now comes the big job of raising the money.

I’d managed a 30-minute run along the Mahoning River before the meeting and couldn’t help but wonder when I’d again be able to put a kayak in the water.  Though this river was running fast, all still bodies of water are almost completely ice covered and will likely stay that way well into April.  It is still dark until 7:15 a.m., but in a few weeks, I should be able to execute my plan to drive half way to work and then pull my bike from the car and ride the remaining 25 miles.  At that point, conditioning will quickly return to last summer’s levels. 

Run duration:  30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  140 bpm.

Calories burned:  525.

No comments:

Post a Comment