Monday, March 10, 2014

Spring ahead...or not.

Sunday, March 9, 2014
Spring ahead…and do it Saturday night.

I arrived at the Metropark Sunday morning with Dakota in tow and a goal of doing the Survival Workout before church.  There was a light dusting of snow on the trail which had fallen yesterday afternoon, but nothing to impede progress on the trails.  It was 8:30 a.m. and I had plenty of time to do the workout, return home for a shower, and make the drive to church.  I went through my first series of exercises and was heading down the trail towards the second station when I began to think about that whole ‘spring ahead’ thing.  As the fog lifted from my brain, I realized it was actually 9:30 a.m. and I was not even close to having enough time to complete the workout.  I hit a couple of more stations and quickly returned to the car where I grabbed the phone and called Jack.

“Hey…if you’re looking at the clock in the kitchen and thinking about when you need to leave to get to church, you’re going to be an hour late,” I said.

“Dad…I know about daylight savings time.  I’m good,” he replied.

So he’s smarter than me for once.  I hurried home, showered and made the drive to church with about 40 seconds to spare.

I returned home and rode the trainer for 60 minutes before heading to the kitchen for some major cooking.  Jack had laid off his weight training routine when he started back to school in January and had lost about 15 pounds of muscle.  About three weeks ago, he’d started up in earnest again, with a complimentary return of his major league appetite.  He eats constantly and likes chicken so I made a big batch of rice, mixed in broccoli, celery, onions and sautéed chicken for dinner and the next couple of days.  I also baked some chicken, barbequed pork chops and sautéed green beans.  He should be good for 24 to 36 hours.

I should be eating pretty well myself for the next several days.  I’ll try to stay away from burgers and continue my quest to regain my own conditioning.  So far, I’ve managed11 days in a row. 

Survival Workout:  30 minutes.  Bike workout:  60 minutes. 
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm for SW and 120 on the bike.
Calories burned during workout:  300 for SW and 850 on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment