Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Breakfast at Kleifeld's...

Sunday, April 22, 2012
I started the day with a run…which always makes it a better day for me.  I found out quickly that I wasn’t prepared for the conditions after five minutes on the trail in shorts and a t-shirt.  There was a gentle drizzle falling…a welcome addition to days with temperatures above 70 or so…but it was more like 45 and the breeze was blowing.  I was without my do rag as well, so my head…bald as a pool cue…was also feeling the cold.  As with every run, I had a time in mind which was only really a suggestion to the rest of me.  I think it was 30 minutes…but that’s irrelevant.  I had about 60 minutes before Jack needed to be picked up and planned to use most of them running once I got started and as long as my calf remained solid.  It did and I managed 50 minutes and climbed in the car with exactly enough time to get Jack.

He entered the car and announced he was hungry.  He’d been up late and rolled out of bed with about 3 minutes to get into the car so I could take him to his babysitting job while I’d been running.  Naturally…he’d missed breakfast.  I decided to treat him to a breakfast at my favorite place…Kleifeld’s in Willoughby.  It’s an old diner that hasn’t changed much since they opened some time during the American Revolution…including serving large portions quickly and that taste good.  Jack tried corned beef hash for the first time and found that he liked it.  I ate a ham and cheese omelet with a double order of rye toast and a side of home fries.  I figured I’d run 50 minutes and had plans for more work when I got home so I’d burn the calories.  We did what dads and sons should do…just talked about what he was up to and what life was like when I was his age and doing things he shouldn’t…or at least shouldn’t tell me about just yet.  They wouldn’t be funny until he had kids.



We got home and the yard work began.  Since I’d spent six hours on Mimi’s landscaping yesterday, I figured Holly would notice if I didn’t at least make an effort on ours.  I spent considerable time putting just the right edge on the driveway and along the sidewalk…and it was quite an effort since not doing it for eight months or so does nothing to make it easier.  I even went back and swept up the mess...something I’d normally let the wind take care of.

I’d hoped to add a Survival Workout to the day but found that my stomach was acting up again and I was kind of played out.  I made a smoothie and skipped the family dinner…and for me to skip a meal should be a signal for a visit to the ER.  I held off, though.  We’ll see how tomorrow goes.

Run Duration:  50 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 850.

No comments:

Post a Comment