Monday, April 9, 2012

Starting to think 'Adirondacks'

Friday, April 6, 2012
I was taking Savannah through the Survival Workout and at one of our dip stations, I mentioned how the site reminded me of the Adirondacks.   It’s an open lot surrounded by pines, oaks and maples and backs up against a steep hill.  Later that evening while driving Heidi home, I made a similar comment.

“Doesn’t the road ahead look like the Route 12 heading north out of Utica and into the Adirondack Mountains? I asked her.

She admitted it might…a little.  I need things to motivate me and hiking in the Adirondacks always does that.  Normally, I wouldn’t consider going there before mid-summer.  Often in May, the trails are still snow-covered making reaching the peaks difficult.  June is black fly season…a misery that is hard to imagine if you’ve not lived through it.  Like Northeast Ohio though, they had limited snowfall this past winter and they’ve also experienced the early Spring.  I’m sure the trails are clear and even though the black flies would be out, I’m thinking of heading up there for a short trip in mid-May.  It would certainly give me something upon which to focus my training.

Savannah continues to improve in the Survival Workout…and I had a pretty good day too.  I pr’d on my modified push-ups, hitting 84 with my feet hooked on the top of the fence.  I did realize that I have a bend in my knees and that if I’d do them as more of a plank…hold my core solid as I would in a traditional push-up…they would likely be more difficult.  I put the bend in my knees to help me keep from falling on my face while doing them.  I’m going to try the plank on the next workout and report back.

Savannah has been doing a version of the workout in Columbus and it shows.  She managed 18 regular push-ups and pumped her biceps for me to feel.

“I’ve got a muscle here where I didn’t have one before,” she said as she squeezed her fist and bent her arm at the elbow.

The good news is…she’s seeing improvement and it’s motivating her to continue.  And she loves doing it outdoors.  How could you not?

I finished the evening with another driving lesson with Jack.  We went out on the side streets of Highland Heights and he did pretty well until I told him to pull into a driveway so that he could turn around.  I thought he understood what I wanted him to do, but when we were all the way up the drive, I told him to stop.

“We’re not here to visit these people Jack…I just wanted you to use the bottom of their drive to turn around.”

He backed out into the road without putting much of a turn into his maneuver such as it would take to have him pointing down the street in the direction…and lane…he needed to go.  When I told him to pull back in the drive and try it again, he gave it the gas before taking it out of reverse.  We jumped the curb behind us, which shook him up.

“It happens, Jack.  Don’t sweat the small stuff…but you do have to do some thinking when you’re driving,” I told him.  No harm…no foul.  I’d like to say that I never backed into a basketball pole in my driveway and sent it crashing to the ground…but I can’t.  He’ll get it.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment